CAEd™ - Certified Alzheimer Educator™
The candidate for this test is someone who works in Alzheimer care and has developed expertise in the field. The educators are responsible for educating and training the caregiver. In addition they may provide workshops/lectures/information to persons with early stage Alzheimer’s or related disorders, their families, and the general public.
The Certified Alzheimer Educator may be a nurse, social worker, education coordinator, administrator, or other person who has demonstrated advanced knowledge and understanding of the special needs and circumstances of persons with Alzheimer’s disease and their families. With additional expertise in adult learning theory and techniques, they have the competence to effectively teach the concepts and strategies to produce the best possible environment of care.
Applying Yourself? - Click here to complete the CAEd™ Exam Application for Yourself
Buying for a Group/Staff? - Click here to Buy the CAEd™ Exam and/or Educator Guide for others
- 21 years of age or older
- Education & Experience in direct care or supervision of those who provide direct care:
- High School diploma + CAC™ Certification + 4 years of experience OR
- 2 years of college or LPN + 3 years of experience OR
- Bachelors Degree or RN + 2 years of experience OR
- Graduate Degree + 1 year of experience
- Exception: Year-for-year direct care experience and/or training/teaching caregiving (5 years)
- 30 hours of dementia specific training within the last 2 years (our online Educator Course can account for 10 of the 30 required if purchased with your exam and completed prior to taking the exam)
The fee to take the CAEd™ exam is $365. You can optionally add-on the Educator Guide for $199. CAEd™ candidates will have 90 days of access to the Guide, or until the exam is taken (whichever comes first). A short demo of the Caregiver Course is below. The final 10 modules of the Educator Course mirror the Course for Caregivers.
Exams are administered through Pearson VUE Professional Testing Centers. Click here to locate your nearest testing center.
The CAEd™ maintains certification with $65 yearly renewal and twelve hours of continuing education credits.
Important Documents for Review